Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Reading Notes: The Voyages of Sindbad, Part B

I read the second half of The Voyages of Sindbad. I decided to take notes again similar to how I did for Part A. I find that the concise bullet points help me with keeping the details and theme of the story true to its source.


  • Sindbad is never settled with his life at home.
  • Sindbad sets out for another adventure despite all of the past troubles.
  • Each voyage does not waste time to jump into action.
  • The roc reminded me of escaping the giants.
  • Sindbad never manages to break the cycle of bad/good luck.
  • The old man reminded me of Smeagol from Lord of the Rings.
  • The constant new adventures add a lot of scenery and detail to the stories.
  • Each adventure does not break the mold.
  • The second half of the stories follow the same formula as the first.
  • I like the final voyage and Sindbad's commitment to return home.
  • He went against his vow to set out for the last voyage.
  • His miraculous journeys finally came to an end at the culmination of his final return.
I think the second half of the reading had a lot of great stories. I really liked the fifth voyage and Sindbad's cleverness to escape the old man. As I mentioned earlier, it reminded me of Smeagol and Lord of The Rings. If I write about the latter voyages I think I will retell this one. I think that there is a lot I can do creatively with this story. I have a lot of inspiration and ideas for an escape like this from previous stories.

(A photo of Sindbad by Rene Bull. Source: Wikimedia Commons)

Bibliography: The Voyages of Sindbad from The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang. Source: UnTextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment