Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Reading Notes: The Voyages of Sindbad, Part A

My reading for this week is the Voyages of Sindbad. I am interested in this unit because of its similarities to Homer's Odyssey. I really like the idea of a hero that goes on adventures, and that is why I was interested in this unit. I am condensing the notes again because I benefited the most from this method.


  • Sindbad is a cunning man
  • The detail and scenery is noted
  • Sindbad traded his life of luxury for adventure
  • Each voyage leads to a new adventure
  • I like the ideas of fantasy included in the voyages
  • There are many different elements I can work with
  • The voyages can be changed in my retelling
  • There is a constant feeling of adventure
  • Sindbad encounters something new all of the time
  • Each voyage begins with a great sense of excitement
  • Sindbad quickly meets a new enemy/disaster every voyage
  • There is never a moment of peace during the voyage
  • Sindbad always makes his way back to a former acquaintance
  • Each voyage ends in a safe return home
I really like each of the voyages of Sindbad. I think that there is a lot of material for me to work with this week. Since I recently retold a portion of Homer's Odyssey that is similar to voyage three, I will avoid retelling the part about the escape from the giants. I really like the fact that Sindbad constantly gives his riches back to the poor and needy. I think it creates a more likable character, and I want to include this in my retelling. I also think it would be fun to create a voyage where Sindbad does not return peacefully. We will see what Part B of the reading entails before I make up my mind.


(A photo of Sindbad from the 1947 film. Source: Wikimedia Commons)

Bibliography: The Voyages of Sindbad from The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang. Source: UnTextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment