Sunday, September 10, 2017

Feedback Strategies: Praise

The two articles I read were Presence, Not Praise and The Difference Between Praise and Feedback. I think that both of the articles offered some interesting insight into the mindset of giving out praise. I have never really put much thought into the actual effects that giving praise to a child can have on their development. I thought it was interesting that both articles noted the debate over giving out praise. I think there is a happy medium in giving out praise and not giving out praise. For me, I enjoyed praise from my parents when I accomplished something important to me. However, I could see how constant praise could really dull a kid to the sensation of feeling appreciated. I think if you can balance praise and feedback as a parent, your kid will be better in the long run. I am confident, because of my upbringing, in giving people useful feedback. I know how to avoid sugar coating and overdoing praise. I can recommend the strategy of being open to other people's advice, but also sticking to what is most comfortable for you as a person. I think I would like to try the feedback strategy of Process Praise. I am not sure how I will be able to apply it consistently during this semester. However, I think it will be something that I look at in the future.

(A photo of a father reading with his two sons. Source: Wikipedia Commons)

2 comments:

  1. I am the same way you are, as I never really saw praise as a bad thing. But over the years, as I have worked with dozens of kids, I have seen first-handedly the effects of over praising. And by effects, I mean usually these are negative things. For example, if a child does not feel like what he is going to do will earn him praise, then he most likely will not do it! That can be super detrimental.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Jake! I think that praising kids can be a very good thing most of the time but sometimes the child is over praised to the point where the child doesn't feel the need to go out and get things on its own. I also think that this could make the child not want to do things unless he feels there is an incentive at the end. I think this is a good method to research.

    ReplyDelete