Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Reading Notes: Raja Rasalu, Part A

This week I read the about the adventures of Raja Rasalu. He is known as the Hero of the Punjab. I really like to read and write about hero stories, so I decided to do another one this week. Raja has multiple stories and adventures. I decided to focus on a specific story for my notes. I am taking notes over Raja and his battle with the giants. This will most likely be the story that I choose to retell later this week. Again, I am using the bullet point notes format.


  • Raja is perceived as charming to those that meet him.
  • He faces similar challenges to that of other heroes in this course.
  • Raja flows with confidence in himself.
  • Raja does not fear for his life in this situation
  • The people of the city had succumbed to the demands of the giants.
  • There was not resistance formed to fight off the giants.
  • Everyday the people of the city were fearful for their survival.
  • The city took turns rationing their men as sacrifice.
  • He does not doubt his ability to take on the giants in combat.
  • Raja shows no mercy for his foes.
  • He was born into the world as giant slayer.
  • Raja confronts the giants with confidence and the knowledge that he will win.
  • Raja slices off the hand of a giant with ease as a warning.
  • The poem of Raja's return has some significance.
  • I definitely need to include the poem in the retelling.
  • I like how Raja is never challenged in his adventure.
  • I could change his typical victory to something more fatal or drastic.
Overall, I think there are a lot of creative options for this week. I have really taken a liking to the stories about heroes and their many adventures. I will probably try to find a new way to get creative with this week's story and do something different.

(A photo of a sunset in Punjab, India. Source: Wikimedia Commons)


Bibliography: Raja Rasalu from Tales of the Punjab by Flora Annie Steel. Source: UnTextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment