Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Reading Notes: Homer's Odyssey, Part B

I read the second part of Homer's Odyssey and came away with a few new ideas for this week. I think that I want to focus my storytelling on events that took place during part A of the reading. However, I did note a few things that I liked about part B. The second part of the story introduced the elements of death, and I thought that was very interesting. I think the topic of death can always be a bit eerie and the story does a terrific job of keeping it grounded. There was a certain element of creepiness to it, but I thought it was pretty neat. The conversations with the dead were also informative. I really liked the dialogue that is exchanged. There is an element of foreshadowing that is being played here. This is something that I would like to incorporate into future writing. It has a very powerful effect on the reader's mind. The other thing that I noted was the incorporation of real emotions. Odysseus wept for his friend Agamemnon. It was a sad moment. I appreciated the realness of the moment, as we would all weep for those that we care for. I would like to somehow manage to incorporate these elements into my story tomorrow or in future stories. I still believe that I will focus on the earlier events during my retelling. However, I plan on making some interesting changes for the story.

(A statue of Hades and his Cerberus. Source: Wikipedia Commons)

Bibliography: Homer's Odyssey translated by Tony Kline.

No comments:

Post a Comment