Thursday, August 24, 2017

My Growth Mindset

I have never heard of the growth mindset and the work that Carol Dweck has performed. I was actually very fascinated with the idea of creating a new way of teaching and learning. I think that this unorthodox approach could become the norm for the future. It seems that it could be and will be super effective in helping kids that may not have the most confidence in themselves. I also believe that it could push kids who naturally perform well to achieve more than what they think is capable. I know that I could have used something like this to help aid me in my development as a child. I remember a lot of things came to me naturally as a kid, and I was not very comfortable with the idea of failing. I think a challenge that I could currently benefit from is the "Five Whys". A lot of times I get very invested into my studies, and I never take the time to think about what I am taking away from what I am learning or memorizing. I think that a challenge like this could really help my critical thinking skills and allow me to develop a deeper understanding of the topic I am studying. I believe that learning how to further develop critical thinking skills would benefit me quite a bit in my upper division biology courses. I struggle at times with taking in a wealth of material and relating it to knowledge that I have acquired from the past. I am looking forward to learning more about the growth mindset in the future of this course.

(Learning how to deal with failure promotes growth. Source: Growth Mindset Resources)

1 comment:

  1. Just got done reading your post on growth mindset. I too had not really heard of the topic of growth mindset before this class. I think that it is very important that we not only get so invested in our studies and worry about what will be on the test or what grade I will get and worry more about am I learning what I need to learn to be successful in the future for whatever path it is that we will take.

    ReplyDelete