Thursday, November 9, 2017

Reading Notes: Robin Hood, Part B

I continued to finish the reading of Robin Hood and his adventures today. I liked different bits of a few of the stories, so I took notes over what I liked. I think that I am going to create my own adventure. I might retell one of the adventures, but I will probably create my own account. I will also most likely not use the ballad format seen in the stories.


  • Robin Hood prides himself as a great game hunter
  • The encounter with the Bishop shows Robin Hood's true character
  • He is clever enough to recognize that the Bishop is trying to make him appear before the King
  • The terms for meeting the King would have not gone well
  • The Bishop presents it as a privilege but Robin Hood knows he will be cast in a cell or killed
  • Instead, Robin averts the situation and brings forth his men
  • Robin shows how merry and fun he can be by letting the Bishop go free after drinking with him all night (he also took all of his money)
  • The story of the bishop is very creative and possibly my favorite
  • The irony and complete confusion is funny to see unfold
  • I really liked seeing something like this
  • I think that it fits my writing style
  • I could recreate a version of my own that I think would be funny
  • I love writing about heroes, and I think Robin Hood fits the description
  • Throughout the stories he is very keen and cunning
  • He enjoys messing with his enemies and then enjoying the fruits of a hard day of work
  • I think Robin Hood has some elements of Sindbad to him
  • He also has his own unique characteristics that make him exciting
I really enjoyed the Robin Hood Unit. I think I will try and craft my own adventure from all of these stories. I want to get creative with the writing, and I think this is a perfect opportunity.



(Another photo of Robin Hood in statue form. Source: flickr)


Bibliography:  Robin Hood Unit from The English and Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis James Child. Source: UnTextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment