Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Reading Notes: Robin Hood, Part A

I read the Robin Hood unit for this weeks reading and storytelling. I am somewhat familiar with Robin Hood and his adventures. I decided to take notes on things that I found interesting throughout some of the stories. I might end up combing multiple elements from all the stories to create my own. I also might just retell one of the classic Robin Hood tales. I enjoyed the Ranger story the most.


  • The stories are told in a ballad format
  • I am not sure how easy this would be to recreate in my own story
  • I like the commitment to the format and the way the author is able to describe the adventures
  • Robin Hood is a showman and that is a point of storytelling
  • I really like how he displays his skills with confidence and assurance
  • The banter between Robin and his opponents is hilarious
  • I like how neither Robin nor Little John back down from each other
  • It seems Robin met a true match and a true friend that day
  • The rhyming and singing pattern of the story can sometimes make it difficult to understand
  • I do appreciate the element that this adds to the stories
  • The combat goes back and forth between Robin and Forester
  • I really like how Robin enjoys the competition of another competent fighter
  • Robin Hood shows great resolve during combat as he never concedes when he is down
  • I like how Robin values friendship and brotherhood so much 
  • He offers competent fellows a place among Robin and his archers
  • I think it is respectable and also makes Robin Hood a more likable character when he includes others
I think that after reading all of these different stories I will most likely create my own. I do no plan on recreating the ballad format, and I think I can get creative with a new adventure that Robin Hood and his friends embark upon. 
(A man dressed as Robin Hood. Source: Wikimedia Commons)

Bibliography:  Robin Hood Unit from The English and Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis James Child. Source: UnTextBook




No comments:

Post a Comment