Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Reading Notes: Native American Hero Tales, Part A

I read the Hero Tales unit for this week's reading assignment. I really liked the first story in the unit. I took notes over that story because I thought it has a lot of potential for a retelling later in the week. I will probably reread it for some more inspiration.

(A photo of an eagle like the man from the story. Source: Maxpixel)

  • The story starts with the conflict already being present
  • The unnatural uncle is known for killing his nephews when they are four
  • It does a good job of leading you to the problem early on
  • I think the reputation of the unnatural uncle is built up and helps foreshadow the events very well
  • I would like to possibly tell the story from the uncle's perspective
  • I think this would be a very cool way to present the story
  • Maybe the uncle has some insane motive for doing what he does
  • I could develop this story line and create something new
  • I also think that I could change the ways that unnatural uncle tries to kill his nephew
  • I think the way that the nephew handles the whole situation is crucial to the story
  • He assures his parents that he will always make it back
  • He also outsmarts his uncle every time and constantly makes a point to frustrate his uncle
  • I do like the constant reminder from uncle's wife that misfortune will come to him
  • She constantly tells him to stop his actions because they will be his demise
  • The ending is definitely unique
  • I would probably only retell a portion of the story
Bibliography: Tales of the North American Indians by Stith Thompson. Source: UnTextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment