Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Reading Notes: King Arthur, Part A

I read the King Arthur for this week's reading. I decided to take notes over a couple of the stories that I really liked. I would not mind retelling either of these. I think that the unit has a lot of good stories to retell and recreate.


  • The country was in a state of disarray after the death of the King
  • The tale is similar as to how I remember it when I was a child
  • I like that the old legend remains true in the original version
  • Merlin and the lords gathered to devise a plan to find the true king
  • It is still funny to think about all of the knights and men that tried to remove the sword from the stone
  • I like the idea of a tournament being held to find the true king
  • I did not remember the part bout Arthur going back to get his brother's sword
  • I think this bit of information shows how genuine and kind he is
  • When he returns he pulls the sword from the stone to give to his brother
  • He does not even realize the feat he has just accomplished by doing so
  • I think it shows just how kind and naive he is a boy
  • He tries to help another but does not realize what he has accomplished
  • I also like how many knights did not believe that such a boy was the true king
  • The story of Excalibur was foreign to me
  • I was under the impression that the sword Arthur pulled from the stone was Excalibur
  • It was in interesting story, and I really enjoyed how the sword was a legend in its own right
  • I also did not know that the scabbard would make Arthur immune to wounds
  • It was really cool to read that for the first time
I really liked the King Arthur stories and units. I think the stories are so great, and they bring back a lot of childhood memories. I would like to retell them for my storytelling this week.

(A photo of the Boy's King Arthur cover. Source: Wikimedia Commons)

Bibliography: King Arthur: Tales of the Round Table by Andrew Lang. Source: UnTextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment