Thursday, November 30, 2017

Reading Notes: Brothers Grimm (Ashliman), Part B

Today I finished the reading for the second unit of the Brothers Grimm stories. I again focused on one specific story to takes notes, but I went ahead and read all of the stories. I chose the one that I thought would interest me the most to write a story.


  • I read the Lazy Heinz story and was a bit confused by it
  • I decided to take notes over it because it was unlike anything else that I had read
  • Fat Heinz was a lazy man that did not take a liking to tending to his goat
  • He would begrudgingly take his goat to the field every day
  • Heinz thought of his work as some of the most difficult on the earth
  • He desperately wanted to sleep on the job and not pay attention to his "work"
  • I like how Heinz is in fact actually that lazy
  • He constantly thinks of ways to not do his "job", which is taking a goat to a field
  • Somehow Heinz comes up with the genius idea to fix all of his problems
  • I do not think I will ever understand his decision, but he believes that it would be best to marry "Fat Trina"
  • I think this is definitely a harsh name to give your wife, but Heinz sees no problem with it
  • He only cares about getting out of his work
  • Heinz estimates that his wife will take out the goat to the pasture everyday
  • However, his wife is somehow just as lazy as him
  • I found this detail to be quite comical and it added some development to the story
  • They decide to trade two goats for a beehive
  • This is somehow a fair trade, but I do not quite buy that logic
  • Their laziness continues to be fed because now they do not have to get out of bed
  • Their surprising ambition drives them to want a child
  • With this child they planned on making it tend to geese all day
  • It is most likely a good thing that these two lazy people did in fact not have a child
This story was entertaining and very unique. I had a few good laughs while reading this, and I think it would be funny to retell.

(Another photo of the two Grimm brothers. Source: Wikimedia Commons)



Bibliography: The Grimm Brothers' Children's and Household Tales translated by D. L. Ashliman. Source:UnTextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment