Thursday, October 19, 2017

Reading Notes: Japanese Fairy Tales, Part B

I read the second half of the Japanese Fairy Tale Unit today. I specifically wanted to focus in on one of the stories. So, I took notes over The Goblin of Adachigahara story from the unit. I really enjoyed this story.


  • The story is very good at creating an eerie atmosphere
  • You can tell from the beginning that the hut belongs to the cannibal goblin
  • The description of the hut and its inhabitant creates an uneasy feeling
  • I really liked the thoughts of the traveler being included
  • The author does a good job of giving the reader the emotions of the traveler
  • I was hoping to see the traveler doze off as he stayed in the hut
  • I thought it was funny how the goblin made such a point to not wander to the back side of the room
  • This only invoked curiosity for the traveler
  • The room of bones was filled with this ominous and revolting presence
  • I appreciated the amount of detail put into that scene
  • The emphasis on the traveler's religion was interesting
  • That seems to be a light theme of the story
  • I liked how the goblin transformed during the escape scene
  • This ensured that the true nature of the beast came to light
  • I would like to expand on this story
  • I think there could be an altered ending or a continuation of the story
  • It was pleasing to see that the rumors of the old goblin woman were actually true
  • I could write a story about people confronting the goblin once and for all
  • That would have a very climatic ending

(A photo of an old goblin woman. Source: Max Pixel)



Bibliography: The Adventures of Kintaro, The Golden Boy from Japanese Fairy Tales by Yei Theodora Ozaki. Source: UnTextbook

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jake. I decided to comment on here because I like the style that you use for your reading notes. They are a lot smaller and concise but you can tell that this is an effective way for you to improve your writing. I would like to resemble it because sometimes mine are just paragraphs but I think the bullet points would make it easier for me to review.

    ReplyDelete